Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Gardening in October

Wednesday, October 25

To wrap or not to wrap. That is the question I was suddenly pondering in the clear, crisp air of the setting sun, the needles of the bald cypress glowing gold just a few feet away. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous weather, or to take cloth against a sea of troubles and by opposing block them, at least for another week or so. Balmy weather back in the forecast after tonight's cold snap. Not much time to ponder, so I went with my deepest instincts. Wrap for the night is coming wherein you cannot wrap. Then I hustled around, harvesting the last of the pepper crop and a few zucchini still blossoming and fruiting under four layers of cloth. On the way in, I picked out three bright red Enchantments from the table of green and pink tomatoes ripening on the back porch, covered the rest with some old bed sheets, and then set out to make something of all my summer vegetables.



No comments:

Post a Comment