Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Bachelor Bess Winter Story

February 14, 1914 / Fort Pierre, South Dakota
To Mrs. M. M. Corey

Plague take that ground hog! We had such swell weather—was as warm as spring. The last day of January they were worrying over not having any ice. The river seemed going out and they say if the ice goes out before the 10th of February it doesn't freeze again. But that ground hog settled that. He put his nose out just at the wrong time. Then it kept getting colder and colder till the night of the 4th when we had a howling blizzard[;] it lasted all day the next day and the following day (Friday) I made it to school tho few did. The cold was intense. Grant froze his nose and toes just going to the barn. I made my twelve miles that Friday and only frosted my feet. Saturday was a fright again but it moderated a little and I made it to school O.K. We had another howling storm all day Wednesday so I stayed at Donahues that night. Stayed again Friday night in hopes that I could get to town yesterday with Mr. D but it stormed to beat the [railroad] cars yesterday and is at it today. They are out of groceries and coal so Mr. D is going to try to make it in this afternoon and out tomorrow but its fierce. Thought I'd let you know I was O.K. and won't try to drive till its better.

Well I must close. Don't worry about me.
Lovingly yours,
Bachelor Bess


No comments:

Post a Comment